- It will not be possible to max all skills in a skill tree.
- In terms of skill progression, players can choose to go "wide" and get a number of different abilities, or go "deep" into a few specific abilities.
- Players are able to reset and reallocate their skill points.
Making active skills capable of receiving additional skill point allocations and unlocking additional features so that from a player agency standpoint it's going to be up to you whether or not you want to be more diverse but less depth- wider and not taller, in some of these skill choices. Or if you want to be very very tall, that's going to be something that is up to the player in that regard. – Steven Sharif
- Each secondary archetype offers four different schools of augmentation. Each augment school affects a primary archetype's skills in different ways.
- For example: A Mage offers Teleportation and elemental schools of augments. These augments will affect a Fighter's primary skills differently than a Cleric's.
- Each augmentation has a level requirement and number of skill points required to activate it.
- There's going to be a certain threshold at which you can no longer augment your active abilities based on the decisions you've augmented previous abilities, so you'll have to pick and choose which ones you want to apply the augments towards; and certain augments will have more expense required on the skill point side. – Steven Sharif
- Augments to primary skills will fundamentally change the way the ability works: Adapting what the ability once did to incorporate the identity of the secondary archetype.
- Changing the augmentations on your skills will require you to go to a NPC in a Village node or higher.
- Some spell colors and general FX change based on augments.
- Active skills could look totally different after an augment gets applied.
- These apply to abilities on a character's primary archetype.
- They affect how the ability works and can also apply cosmetic effects.
In keeping with our theme of Consequence, and unlike other games, race won’t just be a matter of look, with relatively inconsequential abilities tacked on. Instead they integrate deeply into our class system, augmenting and changing the basic chassis provided by our eight core archetypes. Our goal here is to create a system where an elven fighter feels different, but serves the same role as a dwarven fighter.
- Religious augments are considered top-tier achievements within a religion.
- These augments can be stacked on top of class augments. They will have a give-and-take system based on the choices a player makes.
You're going to have advancement within the religion and within the church that you're a part of. And those advancements are going to be both reflective of the community's development of that religion out in the world: Building temples, building infrastructure for that, completing certain quests for it; and then you will benefit from the community's development of that specific religion via having certain augment abilities that you'll gain access to be able to apply on top of your secondary class augments to skills; and it's going to reflect what the nature of that religion is. – Steven Sharif
Social organization augments
A player progresses through a social organization by accomplishing tasks or quests. There are hierarchical paths pertaining to specific questlines for the organization's thematic. These quests will either be cooperative with or adversarial against other nodes based on their mutual war status.
- - For example, a Thieves' guild may have objectives and quests toward securing a particular item to enable players to advance within the organization.
Social organizations are going to have questlines that players participate in which some will include sabotage, espionage, intrigue... While it's not necessarily player versus player in the combat sense, it is player versus player in pitting communities in those organizations kind of against each other in a competitive atmosphere, where only some things can be accomplished by certain communities; and not everybody can succeed at a particular task. So, I think that that's a unique way to involve meaningful conflict that doesn't necessarily have to relate to PvP, because obviously we have a lot of PvP systems in the game and and there are many ways for players to participate in player versus player combat; but we also want to make sure that from a progression standpoint, from a system standpoint there are going to be abilities of individuals to follow these questlines, these tasks that will pit organizations against each other, specifically from an organizational standpoint. – Steven Sharif
- Social organizations unlock augments.
You're gonna see augments being used a lot throughout a lot of our systems. When we're talking about the guild system, when we're talking about social organizations, when we're talking about religions. A lot of those things are going to affect how and what you have available to augment your skills with. – Jeffrey Bard
- Official Livestream - May 4th @ 3 PM PST - Q&A
- 现场直播, 2019-07-26 (1:09:22).
- 现场直播, 2020-08-28 (1:12:50).
- 面试, 2020-07-29 (55:44).
- 面试, 2020-07-19 (53:59).
- 面试, 2020-07-18 (1:07:51).
- 现场直播, 2017-07-28 (19:05).
- 现场直播, 2017-11-16 (30:02).
- 面试, 2020-07-29 (54:44).
- 现场直播, 2020-08-28 (1:19:24).
- 现场直播, 2020-07-31 (1:14:26).
- 现场直播, 2017-10-16 (1:00:44).
- 面试, 2018-08-08 (22:27).
- 面试, 2020-07-18 (1:05:04).
- 现场直播, 2020-07-25 (1:47:55).
- 现场直播, 2018-02-09 (41:56).
- 现场直播, 2019-12-17 (1:13:14).
- 面试, 2020-07-18 (1:07:06).
- February 8, 2019 - Questions and Answers.
- 现场直播, 8 April 2018 (PM) (20:45).
- 面试, 2018-05-11 (53:15).
- 现场直播, 2017-05-08 (43:30).
- 现场直播, 2019-07-26 (1:28:31).
- Ashes of Creation Kickstarter.
- 现场直播, 2020-07-25 (57:02).
- 现场直播, 2017-05-08 (44:51).
- 现场直播, 2017-06-01 (31:47).
- 现场直播, 2017-05-17 (7:27).
- 面试, 2020-07-19 (24:34).
- 播客, 2018-05-11 (18:52).
- 现场直播, 2017-11-17 (27:35).