Node layout and style
- Environment and location of the node.
- Node type.
- Race that contributed most to the node's advancement.
- The rest is determined by the node's mayor.
Some parts are determined by the area it's in. Some parts are determined by the type it is. Some parts are determined by the race it is; and then the rest of it is determined by the mayor. – Jeffrey Bard
All nodes whether they're associated with a castle or associated with normal node structure has cultural influences that replicate over to the buildings that are produced and the NPCs that are present. – Steven Sharif
- There is an attrition mechanic that affects experience and influence to curb a single race from dominating the entire world.
There is an attrition and that attrition on experience and influence is heightened based on the performance of the race in the world. So if all these nodes are Orc nodes then their attrition rate is very high to compete with the cultural establishment of new nodes because they have more influence in the world and a popular opinion is against them in their outlying regions that they do not have influence in. – Steven Sharif
Constructible node buildings
These are buildings that the mayor has agency over determining whether or not they should be a constructed project. Constructible buildings can be selected at open plots that are gained as the node advances. If they elect to begin construction of one of these types of buildings- one of which is the marketplace- it'll grant certain trade benefits as well as some stalls that the citizens may participate in. – Steven Sharif
And there could be regime change... If somebody doesn't like the fact that a market was built and they want to re-elect a new government next cycle, they can do so... and that market could be destroyed and a new building take its place.
Unique node buildings
Each node type has a unique node building associated with it that can be activated at the Village stage of node advancement. The unique building plays a central role in the progress of civilization for a server.
- Divine nodes
- Economic nodes
- Military nodes
- Scientific nodes
We want the City Hall to be the place where big decisions are made for each Node. It should be where the “ruling class” comes together and decides what to do (these decisions can quickly make them the “old ruling class” too).
- Status of the node's economy.
- Status of upcoming elections.
- Status of trade agreements.
- Status of caravans.
- Clicking on a citizen will reveal information about their guild, society, religion, and property ownership.
- Basements in freehold buildings are to be decided.
- Certain buildings will have multiple tiers, with different footprint sizes. For example: Small, medium, large, to mansion-sized homes.
- A mansion sized home may occupy up to 50% of a freehold plot.
- Cosmetics can also be applied to a blueprint based on the type of building.
- Players are not locked into any particular race for freehold blueprints.
Freehold building placement
- Players will need to manage how these are arranged to maximize adjacency bonuses.
Depending on where your place you're freehold, you're gonna have different environmental tiles available to you and those will kind of enable or buff existing structures that you place in your Freehold... I don't know that we would put like fish farming just for a freehold that's on a river. What we would probably do is give you a buff to fishing in that area. That kind of a thing. So there'll be more buffs for existing things rather than necessarily a special buildings just for that area. But again we're not fully baked in on that system yet, so it's very possible though we end up going down that direction. – Jeffrey Bard
- Attackers may not be capable of destroying a node during a siege. Instead they may carry out precision attacks to disable specific service-oriented buildings within the node. These buildings can be targeted with siege weapons and bombs.
- Node buildings (including player housing) have hit points and can be damaged during sieges. If buildings suffer more than approximately 25% damage, any NPCs or services offered by that building will not be available until the building is repaired.
- If the node still exists after the siege has ended, citizens will need to obtain the resources needed to repair and rebuild any damaged infrastructure.
- Player housing that is destroyed during a node siege can no longer be sold.
You could be more precision oriented in the decision to attack a city. Let's say it's a rival node that's trying to reach you know a node stage five or something and you want to disable their ability for the religious system to progress so you target the temple during the attack, or you want to disable their scholars academy from reaching a higher level so that your nodes can; or you want to disable multiple buildings that allow for experience and quests to be undertaken by its citizenship, which prevents them from keeping up in pace of experience gained with your node. These can be more precision oriented and don't have to effectualize an actual takeover of the node. – Steven Sharif
2020-02-28 2020-01-31 2018-04-01
- Livestream, 2020-01-30 (1:01:59).
- Node series part II – the Metropolis.
- Livestream, 2020-06-26 (45:32).
- Livestream, 2020-10-30 (39:17).
- Livestream, 2018-02-09 (33:50).
- Blog - Know Your Nodes - The Basics.
- Blog - Know Your Nodes - Advance and Destroy.
- Livestream, 2018-09-27 (53:06).
- Interview, 2018-05-11 (54:34).
- Livestream, 2017-05-26 (21:23).
- Interview, 2018-05-11 (47:27).
- Interview, 2018-05-11 (1:00:19).
- Livestream, 2020-03-28 (1:16:03).
- Video, 2020-03-23 (0:24).
- Livestream, 2017-05-19 (33:57).
- Livestream, 2018-01-20 (38:17).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (51:49).
- Interview, 2020-07-08 (55:05).
- Livestream, 2018-09-01 (36:28).
- Know Your Nodes: Economic Node Type.
- Blog: Creative Director's Letter
- City hall.
- Livestream, 2017-11-17 (9:49).
- Livestream, 2020-10-30 (1:01:00).
- Ashes of Creation Store: Velkor's Eye.
- Livestream, 2017-05-24 (9:58).
- Livestream, 2019-06-28 (1:09:22).
- Interview, 2020-07-08 (45:23).
- Livestream, 2020-08-28 (2:14:06).
- Livestream, 2017-05-26 (44:11).
- Livestream, 2020-05-29 (41:27).
- Livestream, 2017-10-16 (56:42).
- Livestream, 2018-12-06 (44:14).
- Livestream, 2018-10-31 (46:18).
- Livestream, 2019-10-31 (36:20).
- Ashes of Creation Apocalypse Early Access.
- Video, 2019-09-24 (0:10).
- Livestream, 2019-06-28 (31:15).
- Livestream, 2019-11-22 (16:56).
- Interview, 2020-07-08 (57:46).
- Livestream, 2019-11-22 (17:59).
- Interview, 2020-07-08 (59:38).
- Livestream, 2020-06-26 (1:02:12).
- Livestream, 2017-07-18 (40:14).
- Livestream, 2017-11-17 (47:10).