- Environment and location of the node.
- Node type.
- Race that contributed most to the node's advancement.
- The rest is determined by the node's mayor.
Some parts are determined by the area it's in. Some parts are determined by the type it is. Some parts are determined by the race it is; and then the rest of it is determined by the mayor. – Jeffrey Bard
All nodes whether they're associated with a castle or associated with normal node structure has cultural influences that replicate over to the buildings that are produced and the NPCs that are present. – Steven Sharif
- There is an attrition mechanic that affects experience and influence to curb a single race from dominating the entire world.
There is an attrition and that attrition on experience and influence is heightened based on the performance of the race in the world. So if all these nodes are Orc nodes then their attrition rate is very high to compete with the cultural establishment of new nodes because they have more influence in the world and a popular opinion is against them in their outlying regions that they do not have influence in. – Steven Sharif
Constructible node buildings
These are buildings that the mayor has agency over determining whether or not they should be a constructed project. Constructible buildings can be selected at open plots that are gained as the node advances. If they elect to begin construction of one of these types of buildings- one of which is the marketplace- it'll grant certain trade benefits as well as some stalls that the citizens may participate in. – Steven Sharif
And there could be regime change... If somebody doesn't like the fact that a market was built and they want to re-elect a new government next cycle, they can do so... and that market could be destroyed and a new building take its place.
Unique node buildings
Each node type has a unique node building associated with it that can be activated at the Village stage of node advancement. The unique building plays a central role in the progress of civilization for a server.
- Divine nodes
- Economic nodes
- Military nodes
- Scientific nodes
- Basements in freehold buildings are to be decided.
- Certain buildings will have multiple tiers, with different footprint sizes. For example: Small, medium, large, to mansion-sized homes.
- A mansion sized home may occupy up to 50% of a freehold plot.
- Cosmetics can also be applied to a blueprint based on the type of building.
- Players are not locked into any particular race for freehold blueprints.
- All of the art assets in Ashes of Creation Apocalypse battle royale testing mode have been created by 无畏工作室.
We can push the limits a little bit on the graphical fidelity, especially using Unreal Engine 4... My desire was not to see very cartoony games. I'm not a big fan of highly stylized art. – Steven Sharif
- Aelean architecture has a French medieval influence.
- Dünir have a Nordic cultural influence.
- Empyreans have a Greco-Roman imperialistic feeling.
- The Kaelar have a European racial influence.
- The Niküa have a Polynesian influence.
- The Py'Rai have a Navajo Native American influence. Py'Rai architecture has a woodland inspiration.
- Pyrian architecture has a Greco-Roman influence.
- The Vaelune have a Middle Eastern racial influence.
- The Vek have a Mesoamerican racial influence.
You will see in the different races that are available from a player character standpoint a lot of different influences that reflect many cultures in the world: Not just European, not just Africa, not Mesoamerican. These cultures are going to be present in many of the races. – Steven Sharif
- Livestream, 2020-06-26 (45:32).
- Livestream, 2020-10-30 (39:17).
- Livestream, 2018-02-09 (33:50).
- Blog - Know Your Nodes - The Basics.
- Blog - Know Your Nodes - Advance and Destroy.
- Livestream, 2018-09-27 (53:06).
- Interview, 2018-05-11 (54:34).
- Livestream, 2017-05-26 (21:23).
- Interview, 2018-05-11 (47:27).
- Interview, 2018-05-11 (1:00:19).
- Livestream, 2020-03-28 (1:16:03).
- Video, 2020-03-23 (0:24).
- Livestream, 2017-05-19 (33:57).
- Livestream, 2018-01-20 (38:17).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (51:49).
- Interview, 2020-07-08 (55:05).
- Livestream, 2018-09-01 (36:28).
- Know Your Nodes: Economic Node Type.
- Ashes of Creation Store: Velkor's Eye.
- Node series part II – the Metropolis.
- Livestream, 2017-05-24 (9:58).
- Livestream, 2019-06-28 (1:09:22).
- Interview, 2020-07-08 (45:23).
- Livestream, 2020-08-28 (2:14:06).
- Livestream, 2017-05-26 (44:11).
- Interview, 2018-10-20 (2:17:43).
- Interview, 2018-10-20 (2:28:08).
- Interview, 2018-10-20 (3:47:17).
- Interview, 2018-05-11 (1:03:21).
- Podcast, 2018-05-11 (31:35).
- Livestream, 2017-10-16 (15:58).
- Interview, 2018-05-11 (1:04:27).